CHEATING DEATH IN HO CHI MINH CITY

(This is a feeling of women when she visits Ho Chi Minh city)

The fear was almost paralysing. I really don’t think I can do this. I am just not brave enough to cross the street in Ho Chi Minh City.
CHEATING DEATH IN HO CHI MINH CITY


Ho Chi Minh City, (formally Saigon) Vietnam is quickly becoming one of the more popular tourist destinations and it’s not hard to see why. A bustling mega city in the middle of Southeast Asia, it is not the picture of Vietnam I had in my mind. Far from the war torn scary jungles where the locals have a deep embedded hatred for all foreigners. The Vietnamese people are some of the kindest I have ever met. They welcome tourists with open arms and big grins and will go out of their way to make you feel special. In fact, the only thing scary about Ho Chi Minh City is trying to cross the street.

I was in Vietnam visiting a friend of mine who was teaching English and she had generously offered to take me on a walking tour. As we turned the corner from the side street of her apartment onto a main street I stood in frozen amazement. Never in my life had I seen so many motorbikes. Hundreds upon hundreds of them were zipping and darting in every imaginable direction with no noticeable rules. It was the picture of absolute pandemonium.

There are over 9 million people living in the city and 4 million of them have motorbikes. The city has a car tax so people will fit everything and anything on the back of their bikes. Family of five, small fridge, 50 roasted ducks, big fridge, children in a car seat, 25 packing boxes. Just when I thought that I had seen everything that could ever possibly go on a motorbike one drove by with 3 kids, 12 watermelons and a dead pig (I’m not making this up).

The only law regarding motorbikes that I saw was that they must wear a helmet. Other than that they seemed free to ride where and how they pleased. I actually held my breath watching them squeeze and manoeuvre through and around obstacles that would halt the most experienced stunt driver.
The blended cocktail of fuel, exhaust and heat engulfed and almost over loaded my senses, causing me to feel a touch light headed. Many of the motorbike riders wore surgical masks in an attempt to block this harsh odour.
Constant buzzing from the bikes sounded like thousands of angry bees on steroids. The near permanent sound of honking added to the melody of madness. The streets were a steadfast sea of motorbikes and I had to try to cross them.
I was staring wide eyed at the kaleidoscope of chaos when my friend informed me on the way you cross the street in Ho Chi Minh City.
You just go. But you must remember to walk slowly. The ‘penguin shuffle’ as she calls it, so the motorbikes can gage where you will be and swerve around you. If you walk too fast they will not be able to tell where you will end up and then they will hit you or another bike.
Going against every instinct in my body I stepped off the curb staring at the waves upon waves of speeding motorbikes heading straight for me. At this point my natural survival instinct kicked in and my body told me to run, just get to the other side as quickly as possible. But I knew I couldn’t do that. Instead I took a deep breath and began my penguin shuffle slowly across the street. I could feel the arm hair of the motorbike drivers as they weaved around me like desert snakes. My boisterous heart beat adding the base to the mad melody.
My mind repeated only one thought; I am going to die, I am going to die.
That’s the thing about life, it presents you with challenges that at first glance seem impossibly terrifing. You just have to take a breath, hurl yourself into the fear and do your best impression of being brave.
As I stepped onto the curb, I feel like a solider returning from enemy terrain back to the safety of home soil. I quietly thank God for getting me to the other side of the street and turned to make sure that against all odds my friend has also managed to make it unharmed. She informed me that it gets easier each time you do it and soon I wouldn’t even notice.
Won’t notice putting my life on the line each and every time I need to cross the street? Won’t notice hundreds of screaming motorbikes blazing right at me? I cannot believe that people do this every day. I knew the Vietnamese were a brave people given the amount of war they had to endure in their countries history, but I had no idea how brave.


Source: thetravelingwaitress.com/2016/02/cheating-death-in-ho-chi-minh-city/